This lemony, chicken rice soup traditionally uses eggs to thicken the broth, but to lighten it up, this version uses cream of chicken soup. Remember to use the fat-free and low-sodium variety of soup to keep it healthier. From Pampered Chef 'Good for You' Cookbook.
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed (or finely minced)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can fat free low-sodium cream of chicken soup
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- Heat a 4 quart stockpot over medium heat.
- Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add carrots, onion and garlic, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, lemon zest, lemon juice, soup, broth and black pepper; bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley just before serving.
My family lives it! Perfect for a nice easy meal and great for a cold day. I use orzo instead of rice.
Very tasty. Quick and easy! I decided to make it a little more complicated on myself, and added a couple of finely chopped celery sticks when I was sauteeing the onion and carrots. Well, actually, I sauteed the onion for 4-5 min first, then added the carrots for 4-5 min, then the celery for 3 min, then the garlic for 2 min. I like to sautee little longer than most recipes ask for, I find it really melds the flavors of the base nicely. Then I added the rest of the ingredients, and let it simmer on the lowest heat for about an hour. Again, I had the time, and wanted to let the flavors gel, since usually soup/chili/stew tastes better the next day anyway I wanted to give it some time. In any case, the results were a hit with my entire extended family. Thanks for sharing, it made a great family dinner!
The whole family really enjoyed this and my son went back for 2nds, me too! I used Cooked Chicken for Recipes - Barefoot Contessa Style to precook the chicken, cooled, cubed and set aside until 10 minutes before serving. Made as written. Served with The Ultimate Greek Salad for a perfect meal. Thanks for posting, Tee Lee. It's a keeper!