1/6 Photos of Greek Lemon Chicken With Potatoes
2 hrs 20 mins
Lemony-herbal chicken that roasts painlessly...oven-roasted garlicky potatoes - crisp on the outside, butter-soft on the inside. This recipe never receives anything but raves!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large chicken
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3/4 tablespoon dried oregano (if you can get the Greek stuff, you're really cooking!)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1(I often add about 1 tsp of crumbled, dried rosemary to the potatoes and 1/2 a teaspoon to the chicken- this is fantastic and it then becomes oregano-rosemary-lemon-garlic chicken).
- 2Wash the chicken well and pat dry.
- 3Combine all the remaining ingredients and massage the chicken, inside and out, with this mixture. Put the chicken in a big bowl and put in the fridge while you prepare the potatoes.
- 4Put the potatoes and all remaining ingredients into a large baking pan. Wash your hands and put them in the pan and toss the potatoes around to coat with other ingredients.
- 5Put in the oven and crank up the heat to 250°C (480F).
- 6Start roasting the potatoes and when they're golden-brown, stir them to bring the white sides up and push to the side of the pan to make room in the middle for the chicken.
- 7If all the water has evaporated, and potatoes have started to stick to pan, add 1/2 cup more.
- 8Add the chicken, breast-side down, and pour any juices that have accumulated in bowl over.
- 9Return to very hot oven and roast until chicken is golden-brown.
- 10Turn over, breast-side up and continue roasting until chicken is nearly as golden-brown on other side.
- 11At this point, I turn the oven off- don't open it- and leave the chicken in for another 1/2 an hour. I like to think I'm saving energy this way, but it also cooks the chicken beautifully.
- 12In all, I'd say from when you put the potatoes into the cold oven to when you remove the chicken to carve after sitting in off oven for 1/2 an hour, we're talking 2 hours.
- 13Serve with pan juices.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lemon Chicken With Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1101.8
- Calories from Fat 559
- Total Fat 62.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 917.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 52.5 g