1/4 Photos of Greek Lentil Soup
1 hr 30 mins
Jenny Sanders's Note:
This is a simple soup, delicious and bursting with nutrition. It can be made a day or two in advance, leaving out the pasta and Swiss chard. Just before re-heating the soup, add them in, so they retain their bite and colour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup small whole wheat pasta shells
- 4 cups shredded swiss chard
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1Wash and pick over the lentils, and put them in a large soup pot with the water and bay leaves. Bring them to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- 2Prepare the onions, celery and carrots, and sauté them in the olive oil until soft and slightly browned in spots. Add them to the lentils when the lentils are getting tender; after about 30 minutes of cooking.
- 3Dissolve the tomato paste in some of the soup water, and mix it into the soup. Add the salt, pepper and oregano.
- 4Cook the pasta in plenty of salted, boiling water until almost tender. Drain and add to the soup.
- 5Wash the Swiss chard well, and shred it finely. Add it to the soup, and simmer until the pasta is tender and the chard is bright green.
- 6If soup appears to be too dry at this time, add more liquid. (This should be a thick, stew-like soup, but, if heat is too high, there may be too much evaporation).
- 7When the soup is fully cooked, stir in 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.1
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 717.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
small whole wheat pasta shells