3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Posted by request - I have not made these personally.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 4 fluid ounces water, 105 to 115 f
- 8 fluid ounces warm milk, 105 to 115 f
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 8 fluid ounces honey, to taste
- ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1In a small bowl sprinkle yeast over the warm water and let stand to soften (about 5 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, pour milk into a large bowl and add sugar and salt.
- 3Stir in yeast mixture and eggs; add butter and beat well.
- 4Slowly add 3 cups flour, beating continuously until batter is smooth, sticky, and thick.
- 5Add more flour as needed to arrive at correct consistency.
- 6Cover bowl with a tea towel and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (2 to 3 hours).
- 7In a medium saucepan pour oil to a depth of 3 or 4 inches and heat to 360 degrees.
- 8While oil is heating, pour some honey into a small saucepan and place over very low heat to warm.
- 9Stir batter well.
- 10Drop batter from a tablespoon into hot oil and cook, turning spoonfuls in oil, until batter puffs and is golden brown on all sides (about 2 minutes).
- 11Remove with a slotted utensil to paper towels to drain briefly, then arrange a layer of the puffs on a platter.
- 12Drizzle with warm honey, dust with cinnamon, and top with a second layer of puffs.
- 13Continue in this manner until all the puffs are layered and dressed.
- 14Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Loukamades
Serving Size: 1 (34 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.6
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 116.8 mg
- Sodium 437.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 40.1 g
- Protein 11.0 g