1/2 Photos of Greek Mac and Cheese
1 hr 15 mins
Studded with spinach, topped with feta cheese, and infused with a hint of cinnamon, this savory casserole is based on a recipe from New York City chef Michael Psilakis. I have tweaked just a bit. You may add more veggies if you like(mushrooms and zucchini are good). Adapted from Saveur magazine(issue#129).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices crustless whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- kosher salt, to taste
- 8 ounces hollow pasta (penne or elbow macaroni)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups grated graviera cheese (about 12 oz.-you may sub Romano OR Pecorino cheese ) or 4 cups kefalotyri cheese (about 12 oz.-you may sub Romano OR Pecorino cheese )
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large shallots, finely chopped (or 4 small red onions)
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (or orange or green)
- 16 ounces Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 scallions, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- 1 3/4 cups crumbled feta (about 8 oz.)
- 1Put bread into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Put bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons butter into a small bowl and combine; set aside.
- 2Bring a 6 quart pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until cooked halfway through, about 3 minutes. Drain pasta, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- 3Heat the remaining butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Still whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in milk and cook until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pan from the heat. Stir in cheese, cinnamon, and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper; set bechamel sauce aside.
- 4Heat oven to 350°. Heat oil in a 5-qt. pot over medium heat. Add shallots and bell peppers and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add spinach and scallions and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the reserved bechamel sauce, the dill, and the reserved pasta and move the mixture to a 9" x 13" baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with reserved bread crumbs and the feta.
- 5Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (2720 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.7
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.7 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 112.5 mg
- Sodium 1065.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 26.5 g