Macaroni layered with a homemade meat sauce and Greek cheeses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts water (12 cups)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (I use Barilla PLUS) or 1 lb shell macaroni (I use Barilla PLUS)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12 ounce) can seasoned tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (juice of 1 orange)
- 3 -4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine (I like Marsala wine)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Put water, salt, olive oil and in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- 3Add macaroni, cook until well done (9-10 minutes), and drain.
- 4Melt butter in sauce pan, add tomato paste, stir and mix well.
- 5Add sugar, salt, cinnamon, oregano, orange rind, orange juice, bay leaves, and cloves, and stir well.
- 6Continue stirring while slowly adding warm water.
- 7Cover and simmer until only 2/3 of the liquid remains.
- 8Season beef with salt and pepper, and sauté in olive oil until meat is dry, breaking up meat while browning, so it will not be lumpy when done (8-10 minutes).
- 9Add onions and garlic and continue to sauté until onion is yellow (3-5 minutes).
- 10Pour wine over this mixture, stir well, cover tightly, and set aside.
- 11When only 2/3 of the liquid remains in the tomato sauce, add the ground beef mixture.
- 12Continue to simmer covered until sauce is thickened.
- 13Keep hot.
- 14Put layers in a baking pan in the following order: (1) macaroni (2) meat sauce (3) kephalotiri cheese.
- 15Keep layering until everything is used up, with the last layer being the meat/tomato sauce.
- 16Cover the top layer with a single layer of kaseri cheese.
- 17Bake until the Kasseri is melted (2-3 minutes).
- 18Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Macaroni & Hamburger Casserole (Makaronia Phournista)
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.9
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 1274.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: