1/1 Photo of Greek Macaroni With Meat Sauce
1 hr 15 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a sauce with nice flavor from Greek Cooking for the Gods, posted for ZWT IV. I like it with a bit of crushed red pepper added in, and as one reviewer said, it's also good with some black olives added.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or butter)
- 1 -2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- salt, to taste
- 1 -2 lb uncooked macaroni (or other pasta)
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese (or kefalotyri, if you have it)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1In a large, deep skillet over medium high heat, warm oil.
- 2Add onions and garlic and saute till translucent (about 5 minutes).
- 3Add beef and brown well, breaking meat up as it cooks.
- 4Stir in cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, tomatoes, tomato paste and wine. Stir, reduce heat and simmer till thick and flavors are well blended (about 1 hour).
- 5Adjust seasonings.
- 6Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add macaroni and cook according to package directions, or till just tender to the bite (15-20 minutes). Drain well. (the original recipe calls for 2 lbs of pasta - this sounded like a huge amount to me, so use your own judgement regarding your own family's tastes).
- 7Place half the macaroni on a large heated platter. Sprinkle generously with cheese. Place remaining macaroni on top and sprinkle again with cheese.
- 8Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat till it foams and turns golden brown, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon so that it does not burn.
- 9Pour butter over macaroni then spoon some of the meat sauce over the top.
- 10Serve macaroni with remaining meat sauce in a bowl alongside. Pass additional cheese and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Macaroni With Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 616.3
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 83.8 mg
- Sodium 671.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 27.3 g