1/3 Photos of Greek Meat Pie (Kreatopita)
1 hr 35 mins
I love the flavor of Greek food. I cannot wait to try this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 ounces yogurt, Greek strained
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces margarine, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, beaten to mix with the milk
- 1 tablespoon skim milk, for the finish with the egg
- 1 cup flour, may need more to make a pliable but non-sticky dough
For the filling
- 1 1/4 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 eggs
- 9 ounces regato cheese
- 4 tablespoons skim milk, heated, to make bechamel sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon flour, to make bechamel sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon margarine, to make bechamel sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon biscotti, crumbled can use other dry baked bread
- 1Filling: Place sliced onion in a colander. Pour salted boiled water over them, rinse and drain well.
- 2Add onions to a coated pan and fry for 2 minutes.
- 3Add beef, cinnamon, salt and pepper and stir well.
- 4Add 1/2 cup of water and boil until just the mixture is left.
- 5Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and cool.
- 6Prepare béchamel Sauce by melting butter in small pan whisk in flour and add hot milk. Whisk.
- 7Add 3 eggs, cheese, bread and béchamel sauce to the filling and set aside.
- 8Pastry: Combine the pastry ingredients, except for the egg yolk/milk, in a mixing bowl.
- 9Knead it into a pliable, non-sticky dough.
- 10Separate the dough into 2 balls, one slightly larger than the other.
- 11Take the larger ball and roll out enough to more than cover your oven dish. Place it in a buttered pie pan, covering the bottom, and sides, going slightly over the edge at the top.
- 12Now place the filling on top of the crust and level it.
- 13Roll out the second dough ball and cover the filling.
- 14Butter the edge of the bottom crust and fold it over inwards to cover the edge of the top crust and make a border by pressing the edges with your fingertips.
- 15Mix the milk and egg yolk and brush the surface with the mixture.
- 16Poke a hole in the middle to allow the steam to escape and stick the rest of the pastry with a fork.
- 17Place in a preheated oven at 325F degrees for about 45 minutes, until it is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Pot Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pot Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Meat Pie (Kreatopita)
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.1
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 236.8 mg
- Sodium 826.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 29.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: