This was a childhood favorite of mine. My dad used to cook this for me, and served it over egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1/3 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon
- 1Drain artichokes and reserve marinade.
- 2Slice lemon.
- 3In a large skillet, warm 1 tbsp reserved marinade over medium heat.
- 4Saute onion in marinade.
- 5In a large bowl, beat egg whites lightly with fork.
- 6Add onions, breadcrumbs, milk, salt, pepper, oregano, eggs, mint and ground beef. Mix well.
- 7Shape into meatballs. Roll each meatball in flour.
- 8In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute meatballs in the remaining artichoke marinade.
- 9Remove meatballs as they brown.
- 10Add water and bouillon cubes to skillet. Mash bouillon cubes into water. Stir until smooth and thick.
- 11Stir in lemon juice and lemon slices. Return meatballs to pan. Cover and cook over low heat about 10 minutes.
- 12Add artichoke hearts. Cook 2 more minutes.
- 13Remove meatballs and artichokes to serving platter, leaving sauce in pan.
- 14Beat egg yolks. Stir 1 tbsp sauce in pan into yolks (to temper) and combine with remaining sauce.
- 15Serve over meatballs.
Browse Our Top Lemon Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Meatballs With Artichokes and Lemon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.1
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 138.1 mg
- Sodium 986.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 30.3 g