Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Inspired by a recipe in Judith Jones' "The Pleasures of Cooking for One." Grind a few pieces of dried porcini in a spice grinder or mortar-and-pestle to get the porcini powder.
- 1 large shallot
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1 tablespoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon porcini mushroom, powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 2 eggs
- In a mini-processor, or with a chef's knife, chop the shallot, parsley and garlic finely.
- In a medium bowl, combine shallot mixture with meats, spices and vermouth. Mix gently until thoroughly combined. Cover bowl with plastic and refrigerate 6-24 hours.
- In a small skillet, quickly fry a teaspoon or so of meat mixture and taste for seasoning. Adjust if needed. Form into a small meatloaf in a medium baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven 40-45 minutes. Take the meatloaf out of the oven and let it rest while you make the sauce.
- Bring broth to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk flour into lemon juice, then whisk in egg. Whisking continuously, add hot broth to the egg mixture a tablespoon at a time until about 1/3 c of the broth has been added. Move the whisk to the saucepan containing the remaining broth, and again whisking continuously, add the egg mixture to the broth. Keep whisking until the sauce thickens, then immediately move off heat. Serve sauce over meatloaf.