Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is taken from Tonia Buxton, a Greek / English presenter who travelled around the Greek islands presenting "My Greek Kitchen". This is a recipe that she apparently got from Crete, its very easy and tasty and great served with her recipe for Cumin Potatoes (which I've also posted) and salad.
- 1 chicken, oven ready approx 3lb
- 1 large beef tomatoes, sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano, heaped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Place chicken in a roasting dish and rub with 1 tbsp oil.
- Place tomato slices on breast and legs.
- Separate the onion slices and place around the chicken.
- Season with the salt, pepper, oregano and cinnamon.
- Drizzle remaining oil over the chicken and place in the oven for 11/2 hours or until the juices run clear.
This is a very good recipe, when I make a whole chicken it always ends up very dry but this was so moist and juicy. I think the tomatoes kept the moisture in and the seasoning of oregano and cinnamon was unusual, but fantastic. we really liked this in our house and will make it again. Thanks for posting Lou. Made for ZWT#6 2010
Wow!!! This was the best roasted chicken. I made it as written and we loved it. It was perfectly cooked in 1 1/2 hours. It was tender, juicy, and the cinnamon was a nice addition. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT 6.