The warm side dish delivers strong feta and olive flavors while red pepper flakes add a little spice. Sometimes I add some diced red bell pepper to add color, but I really prefer it without the red bell pepper. The original idea for this recipe came from a recipe on AllRecipes, but I've added some things and made others optional.
- 3⁄4 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1⁄3 cup Greek olive, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons slivered almonds or 4 1⁄2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta in boiling water for 7 minutes. Add broccoli and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until pasta is tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olives, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute almonds and minced garlic in oil for about 1 minute. Stir in red pepper flakes and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Pour over pasta mixture; toss to coat.
- Stir in olive mixture; toss to coat.
We really enjoyed this! Easy to make, wonderful flavor, what else can you ask for? I made exactly as written, except that I increased the garlic, as I LOVE garlic. A wonderful dish, and I love that it has both the vegetable and the starch in one dish. I'll definitely be making this again! Thanks for posting.
Another HEALTHY recipe! The only swap I did, was replace the pasta with Quinoa because it's higher in protein and healthier than poisonous pasta. I love that there was broccoli in this. I used a vegan parmesan. Excellent. Will make this again!
this was really nice as a side dish , i love basil and it worked wirh the feta nothing was overpowered here made for my team mate on the unrulies zaar tour 6