1/1 Photo of Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Recipe from Eating Well Magazine, March/April 2009. This is a low calorie option and I love that it's cooked in micro and stovetop. . .no heating up the house with the oven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 yellow bell peppers (may sub orange and or or red)
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat orzo pasta (may use regular orzo)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato (not oil-packed)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar (may sub red-wine vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems
- 2attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- 4Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
- 5Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- 6Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
- 7Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated though, about 1 minute.
- 8Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.7
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 591.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar