1/7 Photos of Greek Pastitsio
1 hr 20 mins
Pastitsio is one of my favorite dishes, perhaps because I am half Greek! I sometimes prepare it in disposable foil pans to give away as a food gift. Cinnamon and nutmeg are traditionally used in authentic Greek pastitsio, but can be omitted if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bucatini pasta or 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint flakes (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1Cook macaroni; drain, and return to pan.
- 2Stir in the melted butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup milk, and the egg; set aside.
- 3In a a skillet or large saucepan, cook ground beef and onion until meat loses its pinkness and onion is soft; drain excess fat.
- 4Stir in tomato sauce, the 1 teaspoon salt, mint flakes (if used), cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper; set aside.
- 5In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter, then mix in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 6Slowly stir in the 2 cups milk, stirring well after each addition so that no lumps form.
- 7Cook and stir on medium high until cream sauce starts to thicken; stir for one minute more, then remove from heat.
- 8Beat egg in a small bowl, then pour into cream sauce, stirring briskly.
- 9Blend in the 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese.
- 10Layer half the pasta mixture in a 11" x 7" (or 2 quart) baking dish.
- 11Spoon the meat mixture evenly on top, then the remaining pasta.
- 12Pour cream sauce over top, to cover completely.
- 13Bake, uncovered, at 350F for about 40 minutes, or until hot and lightly browned.
- 14Let stand for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 587.5
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 172.0 mg
- Sodium 1095.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 29.7 g