Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree or 2 cans small tomato puree
- 3 cups milk
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Prepare macaroni according to directions.
- Rinse with cold water; drain.
- Stir flour into melted butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cover & cool the white sauce. Brown the ground beef and onion in a large fry pan.
- Pour off drippings.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, cinnamon, and oregano over beef.
- Stir in tomato puree and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- Beat together egg, and 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. Gently stir in macaroni.
- Gradually stir in 2 cups of the white sauce into the macaroni mixture. Place 1/2 macaroni mixture into a buttered 11-3/4 x 7-1/2 inch baking dish.
- Spoon beef mixture in an even layer over macaroni.
- Place remaining macaroni mixture over the beef.
- Pour remaining white sauce over the top.
- Bake in moderate 375* degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese, and continue baking 20-25 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
- **Can be doubled** From: Nancy and wwrecipes.com