My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs beef, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree or 2 cans small tomato puree
- 3 cups milk
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Prepare macaroni according to directions.
- 2Rinse with cold water; drain.
- 3Stir flour into melted butter in a heavy saucepan.
- 4Gradually stir in milk and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 5Cover & cool the white sauce. Brown the ground beef and onion in a large fry pan.
- 6Pour off drippings.
- 7Sprinkle salt, pepper, cinnamon, and oregano over beef.
- 8Stir in tomato puree and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- 9Beat together egg, and 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese. Gently stir in macaroni.
- 10Gradually stir in 2 cups of the white sauce into the macaroni mixture. Place 1/2 macaroni mixture into a buttered 11-3/4 x 7-1/2 inch baking dish.
- 11Spoon beef mixture in an even layer over macaroni.
- 12Place remaining macaroni mixture over the beef.
- 13Pour remaining white sauce over the top.
- 14Bake in moderate 375* degree oven for 20 minutes.
- 15Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese, and continue baking 20-25 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 16Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
- 17**Can be doubled** From: Nancy and wwrecipes.com
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1163.7
- Calories from Fat 866
- Total Fat 96.2 g
- Saturated Fat 42.2 g
- Cholesterol 245.0 mg
- Sodium 708.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 26.6 g