2 hrs 14 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Queen Dragon Mom's Note:
From spanakopita to baklava, the Greeks know how to use phyllo! Here the flaky dough encloses a mixture of spinach, cheese and shrimp, lightly seasoned with lemon. The rolls are easy to make and delicious to eat, particularly with a Greek salad of tomatoes, feta, olives and bell peppers alongside.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, thawed
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large lemon, zest
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed or 1 tablespoon fresh dill weed, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 6 ounces large shrimp, cooked, chopped (or 3 ounces cooked shrimp and cooked crabmeat)
- 16 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, more if needed
- 1Squeeze the spinach with your hands to remove excess liquid.
- 2Put the spinach in a large bowl with ricotta, feta, lemon zest, dill weed and pepper.
- 3Stir to mix well.
- 4Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- 5Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Add the garlic and stir 20 to 30 seconds.
- 7Add the onion-garlic mixture to the bowl with the spinach; stir until well mixed.
- 8Stir in the shrimp and set aside.
- 9Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 10Separate 1 sheet of the phyllo dough; lay it on the work surface with the long side toward you.
- 11(Keep the stack of remaining dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying.).
- 12Lightly brush the sheet with a little of the melted butter; lay another sheet evenly on top.
- 13Lightly brush half of the top sheet with more butter; fold the other half over to make a rectangle 8 x 11 inches.
- 14Lightly brush with a little more melted butter.
- 15Spoon a generous 1/4 cup of the filling along the bottom edge, leaving 1 inch of phyllo clear on all sides.
- 16Lift the bottom end of the sheet and fold it over the filling.
- 17Fold the sides over and press lightly; gently roll up.
- 18Set the roll seam-side down on a lightly greased baking sheet (you will need 2 baking sheets).
- 19Repeat to use the remaining filling and phyllo.
- 20Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter.
- 21Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 22Serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Phyllo Seafood Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.3
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 112.1 mg
- Sodium 978.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 22.3 g