Prep 14 mins
Cook 15 mins
Original recipe from Better Homes and Garden, but of course I've made a few adjustments :-). For the crust use Artisan Boule Bread or use purchased pizza crust dough. Note: Jared roasted red peppers can be used but besure to drain thoroughly.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 10 large pitted black olives, quartered lengthwise (such as kalamata or ripe olives)
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped (juice drained off)
- 1 lb refrigerated pizza dough (Recipe# 3098340)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ozs.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled (6 ozs.)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 medium red sweet peppers, roasted and cut into 1 inch wide strips (or a combination of green and yellow sweet peppers)
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, cut into very thin wedges and separated into strips
- Use the refrigerated pre-mixed dough for No-Knead Flatbreads Recipe #387518.
- Twenty minutes before baking, place a baking stone in the oven and preheat to 450º F.
- Remove the Olive Oil Flatbread dough (Recipe #387518) from the refrigerator. Lighly dust the surface with flour and cut off a 1 pound (grapefruit size) piece.
- With lightly floured hands quickly shape dough into a ball by streching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go.
- On a lightly floured board, flatten the dough, with hands and rolling pin, into a 1/8 inch thick round, dusting with minimal flour if necessary to keep dough from sticking to the rolling pin. If difficulty is experienced in rolling out the dough, allow it to rest for a few minutes. I've found that pulling the dough with my hands works best.
- Place the rolled out dough on a pizza peel that has been dusted with corn meal.
- Carefully slide the pizza shell on the hot pizza stone.
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the olive oil and ground red pepper.
- Brush olive oil onto partially baked crust.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Top with the roasted peppers, tomato, onion, feta cheese, oregano and olives.
- Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 - 12 minutes more or until crust is crisp.
- *NOTE: To Roast Peppers:.
- Roast whole peppers on grill until black blisters appear on all sides, about 12 minutes. Remove peppers from grill and place in a covered dish for 15 minutes. Carefully peel skins from peppers (best not to do under running water); seed and chop.
Very delicious and satisfying. I cheated and made this even easier (since I was making it for just me) and piled everything on a store-bought pita bread. The pita crisped up nicely and this was just delicious. Made for Family Picks for ZWT #6.