Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
The combination of Mozzarella and Feta with fresh tomatoes and sauteed onions is simply exquisite. It's worth making a fresh batch of dough for this one.
- pizza dough (I used Quick Mix Quick Rise Pizza Dough, which yielded 2 batches of dough for a 11X17 cookie sheet)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, thinly julienned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon capers (or pitted Kalamata olives)
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1. Preheat oven at 425°F.
- 2. Saute the onions, garlic and julienned pepper with the olive oil until the onions are transluscent. Sprinkle crushed red pepper and rosemary. Remove from heat.
- 3. Oil an 11X17 pan or a pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- 4. Spread dough over the pan.
- 5. Bake for 5 minutes.
- 6. Take out of the oven and sprinkle most of the mozzarella over the dough, saving a handful for later.
- 7. Spread the onion mixture over the mozzarella.
- 8. Sprinkle the capers over the mixture.
- 9. Sprinkle a handful of feta over the mixture.
- 10. Spread the tomato slices over the mixture.
- 11. Sprinkle the handful of mozzarella over the tomatoes.
- 12. Sprinkle the rest of the feta over the mozzarella.
- 13. Sprinkle the fresh basil over everything.
- 14. Bake for 15 minutes until edges are golden.
- 15. Optional: Keep the pan in the middle of the oven and turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes until the feta cheese is turning golden.