Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A coworker of my husband's brought this in one day, and DH thought it looked and sounded good. The recipe is from Mollie Katzen Online. It can be made ahead and refrigerated until baking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb spinach leaves, washed, de-stemmed, and minced
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lb phyllo pastry, thawed
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄2 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 medium ripe roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (or chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and quartered
- 3⁄4 lb reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions and salt and saute until onion is tender.
- Add the basil, oregano, and spinach and stir-fry over med-high heat until spinach is limp and nearly all of the liquid has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in garlic, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Layer the leaves of phyllo 1-2 at a time, spraying each with cooking spray and keeping the unused leaves covered with a cloth to prevent them from drying out, until you have a stack of 10 leaves.
- Cut phyllo into 6-8 squares. Sprinkle phyllo squares with mozzarella.
- With a slotted spoon, place spinach mixture over mozzarella, draining off any remaining liquid. Spread over the mozzarella, leaving a small border of phyllo at edges.
- Arrange tomato slices over spinach mixture. Add olives and top with feta.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-30 minutes, until phyllo is golden and crispy and cheese is melted. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.