Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Rice pudding is one of my ultimate comfort foods and this is just one more version of what I think is the best dessert ever. Traditionally, this dish is served cold.
- Place the litre of milk in a saucepan and simmer over a low heat for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice until the water runs clean.
- Add rice, lemon zest and cinnamon stick to the milk and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- In a small saucepan, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the cold milk and cornflour, and simmer over a low heat until thickened.
- Add this mixture, together with the vanilla essence and sugar, to the rice and milk mixture.
- Simmer, stirring, for a further five minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and pour into one large or four to six individual bowls.
- Refrigerate until ready to use and serve sprinkled with cinnamon.
- To cook the plums, place 200ml water, the vanilla pod and four tablespoons of sugar in a pan and simmer, swirling the pan occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, run a sharp knife around the middle of the plums, twist apart and remove the stones.
- Add the plums to the sugar water, cover and cook for three minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave for five minutes before pouring into a dish to cool.