Make and share this Greek Rice Pudding (Rizogalo) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup short grain white rice (a starchy rice, like arborio)
- 3 cups whole milk
- peel of 1 lemon, removed in one long strip
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch is the same thing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Place milk, sugar and lemon peel (just the peel - none of the pith) in a heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar melts. Reduce heat to low and add the rice.
- Cover the pan and cook until the rice/milk mixture has gone thick and creamy (about 30-35 minutes).
- Turn off heat. Remove lemon peel and discard.
- Whisk together egg yolks with corn flour.
- Quickly whisk egg yolks into the rice mixture, stirring well. (If you want to, at this point you can also add a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract). Keep stirring to make sure yolks are incorporated and won't curdle.
- Spoon pudding into four serving dishes and cool. Top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.