1/3 Photos of Greek Rice Pudding (Rizogalo)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup short grain white rice (a starchy rice, like arborio)
- 3 cups whole milk
- peel of 1 lemon, removed in one long strip
- 1/3 cup white sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch is the same thing)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1Place milk, sugar and lemon peel (just the peel - none of the pith) in a heavy saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar melts. Reduce heat to low and add the rice.
- 2Cover the pan and cook until the rice/milk mixture has gone thick and creamy (about 30-35 minutes).
- 3Turn off heat. Remove lemon peel and discard.
- 4Whisk together egg yolks with corn flour.
- 5Quickly whisk egg yolks into the rice mixture, stirring well. (If you want to, at this point you can also add a 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract). Keep stirring to make sure yolks are incorporated and won't curdle.
- 6Spoon pudding into four serving dishes and cool. Top with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Rice Pudding (Rizogalo)
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 101.3 mg
- Sodium 84.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 8.6 g