1/5 Photos of Greek Roast Leg of Lamb with Potatoes
2 hrs 25 mins
A traditional greek roast for a Sunday dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs bone-in leg of lamb (about)
- 14 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 lemons, zest of, of grated
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pepper
- 8 large potatoes (1 per person) or 16 -24 small new potatoes, 2 to 3 per person
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Wash lamb well and pat dry.
- 2Finely chop 8 cloves of garlic and place in a glass dish or sturdy plastic bag large enough to hold the lamb.
- 3Stir in 4 tsps each of oregano and rosemary, 1/4 cup of the oil, the wine, zest and lemon juice.
- 4Place lamb in marinade, turning to coat well on all sides; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5Crush remaining 6 cloves of garlic and stir together with remaining 2 tsps each oregano and rosemary.
- 6Remove lamb from marinade (keep marinade) and pierce in several places with the tip of a sharp knife.
- 7Rub garlic-herb-mustard mixture over lamb, pressing into incisions.
- 8Coat with remaining 2 tbsp of oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 9Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- 10Peel potatoes and cut into large wedges or like cottage fries (or if you are using small, new potatoes, leave them whole).
- 11Toss in the marinade kept from the lamb and 2 additional tablespoons of olive oil and pour all of this mixture into your pan, around the lamb.
- 12Roast, uncovered, in 190 degrees C (375 F) oven for 1 ½ hours, turn lamb over to make a crust on the other side, give potatoes a stir and continue to roast for another 45 minutes (total roasting time – 2 hours and 15 minutes).
- 13Greeks do not like to eat lamb anyway but well-done.
- 14My Big Fat Greek Wedding was SO WRONG when they showed the platter of (red-pink<shudder> lamb being passed around).
- 15Do it the way you prefer in terms of timing, but this is the way it would be served here.
- 16Serve with plenty of crusty bread to dip into the pan juices, a large, leafy salad, and lots and lots of red wine!
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Roast Leg of Lamb with Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (782 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1118.9
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 227.9 mg
- Sodium 530.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 71.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of