Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a great Sunday dinner since it is so easy to prepare, inexpensive and usually all cooks have the ingredients on hand.
- 1 (6 lb) whole roasting chickens
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 4 -6 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Place chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and half the oregano.
- Arrange potatoes around the chicken; sprinkle with salt and pepper and the remaining oregano.
- Pour butter and lemon juice over the chicken and potatoes.
- Add chicken broth to pan bottom.
- Bake at 350°F for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is browned and tender.
- Baste frequently with pan juices during roasting.
This is such an easy and tasty dinner. The lemon and oregano go great with the chicken and potatoes. A simple dish that is full of flavor. Thank you, Mary Ellen for sharing this recipe. :-)
This was absolutely delicous. We loved the comfort-ey taste of the chicken, potatoes and lemon. Great recipe!
This was truly a great roast chicken recipe. I basted it every 30 minutes and cooked it for the full 2 1/2 hours. It looked gorgeous when it came out of the oven and was absolutely delicious. Thank you so much. I will make this many times.