Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is from our church fair, we go through several lambs in a 4 hour period, so it must be good!
Make and share this Greek Roasted Lamb recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 14 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups rice, cooked
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and oregano in large bowl. Dredge lamb shanks in flour mixture. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and brown lamb shanks. Remove shanks from pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the oil and sweat. Add tomato paste and brown for approximately 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of flour mixture used to dredge lamb shanks. Mix with a whip. Add red wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add carrots, parsley and diced tomatoes. Season to taste. This should be the consistency of a thin cream soup.
- In a large roasting pan, place the lamb shanks in a single layer. Cover with the sauce. Cover the pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 2 1/2 hours or until the meat pulls from the bone. Serve over rice.
Mmm-my house smells so good right now! I added artichoke hearts and served with lemon roasted potatoes, green beans and rice.