This is a combination of two favourite summer salads. It comes together surprisingly quickly, with minimal cooking involved.
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 eggs, cooked,peeled and sliced into wedges
- 4 tomatoes (vine-ripened are best)
- 1 head soft lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (not iceberg)
- 1 can anchovies in oil, drained
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- basil leaves, to serve
- 3 tablespoons small black olives
For the dressing
- 75 g feta, drained
- 100 ml olive oil
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Blacken the peppers over a flame or in your oven.
- When the skin starts to blister, cool a little before wrapping in plastic or putting in a paper bag for about 10 minutes.
- This allows the pepper to sweat and makes the skin easy to remove.
- Peel and then slice into thin strips, removing the seeds and inner white membrane.
- Put the peppers on a plate, season with a bit of olive oil and set aside.
- Trim and thinly slice the fennel before putting in a bowl of chilled water until ready to use.
- Slice the tomatoes, remove the seeds, season with a bit of salt and drain on a plate.
- Make the dressing by crushing the feta in a bowl and then mixing with olive oil, oregano, lemon juice and sherry or vinegar.
- Assemble on a big platter or six individual plates.
- Drizzle the dressing over the leaves, eggs and vegetables.
- Snip over the basil, sprinkle on some olives and serve.