Bon Appetite, August 2001. For a quick and easy pita recipe see Pita Bread -- Using the Master Recipe #309834
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives or 2 tablespoons other brine-cured black olives
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups loosely packed thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 2 cups diced seeded tomatoes
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3 -6 inche pita breads, top 1 1/2 inches trimmed (Pita Bread -- Using the Master Recipe #309834)
- In a large bowl whisk the first 4 ingredients until well blended.
- Add next 4 ingredients and toss to combine.
- Season salad with salt and pepper.
- Carefully open pita breads at cut end.
- Fill each with salad.
- Serve immediately.