Make and share this Greek Spanakopita recipe from Food.com.
- Saute onion in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach. Simmer over a low flame, stirring occasionally until most of moisture is evaporated.
- Crumble Feta cheese into small pieces.
- Add cottage cheese and eggs; mix well.
- Toss bread crumbs into spinach mixture and add to cheese. Stir until blended.
- Carefully cut phyllo sheets into thirds. Refrigerate 2/3 until needed and cover remaining third with a slightly damp towel.
- Remove 1 sheet of phyllo pastry, fold in half lengthwise. Brush with melted butter.
- Place 1 tablespoon of spinach filling near the end.
- Fold over in triangle shape. Continue folding like a flag, keeping triangular shape. Lightly butter top.
- Continue with remaining pastry and filling.
- Bake in a 425 degrees oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Made small appetizer size - Excellent flavor -I like the addition of the cottage cheese it mellows the flavor. Be sure to drain the cottage cheese well so there isn't too much moisture- thanks Tonkcats for posting. 6 Sept 2011 I have made this recipe over & over again - They freeze really well and only take abour 20 minutes from Freezer to serve 375 oven
Great recipe, and my guests were very impressed! I found it easier to stack 3 sheets of phyllo, each brushed with butter, then cut the stack into three strips with a pizza cutter. Also, I had some filling left over, and ended up adding some ricotta and making spinach lasagna the next day (yum!)
Fantastic!!! My 2 yr. old wouldn't let me play with the phyllo, so I wound up making a pie with lattice top out of it. Everyone loved it...from the 2 yr. old, 14 yr. old brother, 19 yr. old brother, and 28 yr. old brother (vegetarian)... and Mom & Dad! Thanks for sharing!!!