Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Even if you don't like Greek food you will adore this melt in your mouth dish. The flavors mingle so well and the phyllo is light, crisp and buttery! It is rich and light at the same time and is sure to be a favorite with your family! Note: Cook time does not include pre-cooking chicken.
- 1 (10 ounce) packet frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
- 2 chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- 2 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, combine spinach, shredded chicken, garlic, parsley, mayo, and milk.
- Layer this mixture evenly in 9x9" glass dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella evely over top.
- Tear phyllo into pieces about the size of the palm of your hand and layer over cheese.
- Pour melted butter over phyllo and cover dish with foil and bake 30 minutes covered; try not to let foil rest on phyllo, but create a little "tent".
- After 30 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes until phyllo is golden and crisp.
- Serve with green salad and fresh rolls!
It started on fire.
This is definitely something for spinach lovers. I doubled everything to accommodate my families size and it turned out great. There were just two small things that I will change next time. 1. the garlic flavor was a bit too intense and almost overpowered the other flavors, so next time we'll use a bit less. 2. even though I doubled the recipe I melted only 1/2 cup of butter as instructed. I spooned it onto the phyllo to get an even, light coverage and still had about 2/3 of the butter left afterwards. Had I used the whole 1/2 cup everything would've been swimming in butter. These are just some tiny adjustments though, otherwise we loved it and will definitely have it again.