1 hr 30 mins
This ia another pita (pie) recipe using pumpkin (or any squash - zucchini is great!) as a filling. For all familiar with spanakopita, please try this variation for something satisfyingly different.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pumpkin or 2 lbs squash or 2 lbs zucchini, grated
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 spring onions, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb phyllo pastry (or filo)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 4 ounces butter, melted (approximately)
- 1Put the grated pumpkin in a colander (sieve) and toss with 2 tsps salt.
- 2Allow to drain for 1 hour.
- 3After 1 hour, squeeze pumpkin between hands to remove extra water.
- 4Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add pumpkin and onion.
- 5Saute gently for 8-10 minutes to evaporate more liquid.
- 6Remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes and stir in cheese, parsley, dill, breadcrumbs, milk, some pepper and the eggs.
- 7Combine this mixture well.
- 8Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 9Get a 13 X 9 inch pan and brush with some melted butter.
- 10Start layering the phyllo pastry in the pan, brushing each layer with butter before adding the next.
- 11Use up 1/2 the phyllo+ 2 extra sheets.
- 12Spoon the pumpkin filling into the prepared pan and turn any overhanging phyllo inwards, over the filling.
- 13Layer the remaining phyllo sheets neatly on top, buttering each before adding the next.
- 14Butter the last sheet VERY generously.
- 15Cut away any overhang and, with the tip of a small, sharp knife, cut gently through the top layers of pastry, lengthwise, into 3 strips.
- 16Be careful not to cut all the way down through the pastry, you just want to pierce the top few layers.
- 17Cut through the pastry in the width too, creating the pieces that will eventually be served when the pie is baked.
- 18Bake pie for approximately 1 hour, until a lovely golden-brown colour.
- 19Remove, and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting all the way through the pre-cut pieces to serve.
- 20Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Squash Pita (Savoury)
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.0
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 87.2 mg
- Sodium 409.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 7.5 g