Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This ia another pita (pie) recipe using pumpkin (or any squash - zucchini is great!) as a filling. For all familiar with spanakopita, please try this variation for something satisfyingly different.
- 2 lbs pumpkin or 2 lbs squash or 2 lbs zucchini, grated
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 2 spring onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lb phyllo pastry (or filo)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 4 ounces butter, melted (approximately)
- Put the grated pumpkin in a colander (sieve) and toss with 2 tsps salt.
- Allow to drain for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, squeeze pumpkin between hands to remove extra water.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add pumpkin and onion.
- Saute gently for 8-10 minutes to evaporate more liquid.
- Remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes and stir in cheese, parsley, dill, breadcrumbs, milk, some pepper and the eggs.
- Combine this mixture well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Get a 13 X 9 inch pan and brush with some melted butter.
- Start layering the phyllo pastry in the pan, brushing each layer with butter before adding the next.
- Use up 1/2 the phyllo+ 2 extra sheets.
- Spoon the pumpkin filling into the prepared pan and turn any overhanging phyllo inwards, over the filling.
- Layer the remaining phyllo sheets neatly on top, buttering each before adding the next.
- Butter the last sheet VERY generously.
- Cut away any overhang and, with the tip of a small, sharp knife, cut gently through the top layers of pastry, lengthwise, into 3 strips.
- Be careful not to cut all the way down through the pastry, you just want to pierce the top few layers.
- Cut through the pastry in the width too, creating the pieces that will eventually be served when the pie is baked.
- Bake pie for approximately 1 hour, until a lovely golden-brown colour.
- Remove, and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting all the way through the pre-cut pieces to serve.
- Serve hot or cold.