Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This makes a quick and easy lunch or supper dish. It's from Healthy Lifestyles, Goodness of Beef!!
Make and share this Greek Steak Sandwich recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup diced cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb fast fry minute steaks (cut into four pieces)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -8 leaves boston lettuce or 4 -8 leaves butter lettuce
- 2 Greek pita breads (halved, not pocket pitas)
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- sliced black olives (optional)
- In medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, cucumber, tomato, oregano and salt.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder and pepper.
- In large non-stick or lightly oiled skillet, cook steaks for 1- 2 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Cover each pita half with lettuce; top each with steak, some sauce and feta and olives, if desired.
I did need to make a few changes because I didn't have all the ingredients. I had to use sour cream and regular mayo. For my own tastes, I added about a tsp. of vinegar because I like that zing in dressings, and I added a bit of finely chopped green onion. I also threw in some sliced ripe olives instead of putting it on the steak. And I sauteed the steak in a pan with some sliced onion. That being said, whatever you do, I doubt there is anything that can make this sauce less than great. The only change I made that I would recommend keeping is the green onion. And don't leave out the cucumber or tomato. I think the vegetables together are what gives it that wonderful greek street vendor sauce taste I haven't had since leaving New York over 10 years ago. I had forgotten how much I missed it, and the first bite brought it all back. Brenda, thank you for posting it! It brought back so many memories, and on a night I thought I was going to have yucky leftovers, I ended up having one of the best meals in a long time. I liked it so much, I might do it again tomorrow!