3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
A classic from the Canadian Living test kitchens! Instead of using stewing beef, I usually cut up a cross rib or blade roast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 1 1/2 lbs small onion (about 7)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped freh parsley
- 1Cut beef into 1 inch cubes, trimming off any fat& place in Dutch oven.
- 2Cut onions lengthwise into wedges, leaving root end intact; add to pot along with garlic& tomatoes.
- 3Combine next 6 ingredients in a small bowl& pour into pot.
- 4Cover& cook in 350F oven until beef is tender, about 3 hours.
- 5Whisk flour into water, then whisk 1/2 cup of the hot liquid from the Dutch oven into the flour mixture.
- 6Stir the mixture back into the Dutch oven.
- 7Add the green pepper& cook, covered, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 8Serve, sprinkled with feta& parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Stew
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 742.8
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 163.0 mg
- Sodium 744.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 48.1 g