Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
A classic from the Canadian Living test kitchens! Instead of using stewing beef, I usually cut up a cross rib or blade roast.
- 3 lbs stewing beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small onion (about 7)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped freh parsley
- Cut beef into 1 inch cubes, trimming off any fat& place in Dutch oven.
- Cut onions lengthwise into wedges, leaving root end intact; add to pot along with garlic& tomatoes.
- Combine next 6 ingredients in a small bowl& pour into pot.
- Cover& cook in 350F oven until beef is tender, about 3 hours.
- Whisk flour into water, then whisk 1/2 cup of the hot liquid from the Dutch oven into the flour mixture.
- Stir the mixture back into the Dutch oven.
- Add the green pepper& cook, covered, until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with feta& parsley.