1 hr 30 mins
A good five stars with the sauce. This is DH's favorite meal and mine too right now. Modified from The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos (She is Greek). This is well worth the effort. Serve this dish with mashed potatoes or it tastes excellent served with Hashweh ("rice Stuffing") Middle East, Palestine used as a bed of rice for laying the zucchini on. Along with a fresh salad this will be a wonderful meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 medium sized green zucchini
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef lamb
- 1/3 cup white basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint (don't omit, you may use dry mint if fresh is not available)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon bahrat mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice flour (to be gluten free)
- 2 eggs, separated (does not work with egg replacer)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Wash zucchini and cut off stems and reserve them.
- 2Scoop out centers of zucchini with a small spoon or zucchini corer. (I use the opposite end of a spoon which may work better depending on the shape of your cutlery).
- 3Make corks from the reserved ends by trimming each.
- 4Rinse and set zucchini aside.
- 5Gently fry the onion in 1 tbs olive oil until soft.
- 6Mix onion into the meat with the rice, tomato paste, 2 tbs parsley, mint and cinnamon, bahrat, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Fill each zucchini with the meat mixture and cork closed.
- 8Place in layers in a pot, add chicken stock, the other 1 tbs olive oil and salt to taste.
- 9Invert a heavy plate on top of zucchini and cover tightly.
- 10Simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours.
- 11When cooked drain off stock carefully into a small pan.
- 12Reduce to 1 1/2 cups over heat and thicken with flour mixed to a paste with a little cold water.
- 13Let it boil for 1 minute.
- 14Beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff, add yolks and beat throughly, gradually beat in lemon juice, then boiling stock.
- 15Return sauce to the small pan and place over low heat stirring constantly until egg is cooked *** DO NOT BOIL ***.
- 16Arrange zucchini on warm serving dishes and spoon some sauce over them.
- 17Garnish with chopped remaining parsley and serve the rest of sauce in a jug.
- 18Serve this with mashed potatoes or Hashweh ("rice Stuffing") Middle East, Palestine used as a bed of rice and a fresh salad.
- 19Totally enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Stuffed Zucchini (Halal)(Kolokithakia Yemista)(Gluten Free
Serving Size: 1 (1021 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.8
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 152.9 mg
- Sodium 300.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 36.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: