This can serve as a one-dish meal. I'm posting for Zaar World Tour. The recipe is from a Moosewood cookbook.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 carrots, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red or green)
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 zucchini, diced (6 inches long)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, minced or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh marjoram (sprinkle of dried)
- 15 ounces cannellini, drained
- 14 ounces Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Cook the orzo according to package directions until al dente (about 8 minutes in boiling water), and drain. Stir in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Sauté the garlic and onions in 2 Tbsp oil in large skillet.
- Add the carrots and bell peppers to the onions and stir.
- Stir the diced zucchini into the skillet of vegetables.
- Add the mint, dill and marjoram.
- Gently stir in the beans and tomatoes.
- Simmer for several minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the beans and vegetables are hot, add the orzo.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.