Posted for Zaar World Tour 2006; this one sounds so good. Can't wait to hear how people like it.
Make and share this Greek Style Chicken Wrapped in Phyllo recipe from Food.com.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, cooked & drained well
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup vermouth or 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- dry breadcrumbs
- Pound chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add chicken; cook until brown on both sides; remove & drain on paper towels then set aside.
- Wipe out skillet, then melt 1/4 cup butter in same skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook and stir until golden; add mushrooms, parsley flakes, dill, garlic and spinach; cook and stir about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour, mixing well. Gradually stir in vermouth; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened; stir in ricotta, feta, salt and pepper; remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Brush melted butter on 1 phyllo sheet; sprinkle with bread crumbs; cover with another sheet; brush with butter.
- Place chicken breast in center of phyllo; spoon 1/6 of the spinach/cheese mixture on top.
- Fold phyllo over chicken, turning ends under; repeat for each chicken breast.
- Place in a single layer in well greased baking pan & brush tops with butter. Bake for 45 minutes or until brown.