Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Credit goes to Ian Hewitson - Huey's Cooking Adventures. (An Aussie cooking show) A little fiddley...but worth it! And economical too. Served with some green beans on the side, or on its own, its a complete meal. You can use beef mince but lamb works best.
- 600 g minced lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (415 g) can tomatoes, undrained,chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- dried herbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups macaroni
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated tasty cheese (approximately)
FOR CHEESE SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2-1 cup grated tasty cheese
- Cook Macaroni in the usual way until not quite tender.
- Drain and toss in a dash of olive oil.
- Leave aside.
- Saute the vegetables and garlic for three minutes.
- Add mince and brown.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce along with the water and crumbled stock cube and dried herbs.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Place half of the macaroni into the bottom of a deep casserole dish.
- Sprinkle over some grated cheese.
- Now layer half the meat/veg mix over macaroni, followed by remaining noodles, more cheese, then remaining meat/veg mix.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle with more cheese.
- Bake 220 deg celsius 20- 25 minutes.
- To make cheese sauce: Melt the margarine.
- Stir in flour.
- Blend in milk.
- Cook for three minutes stirring often.
- Stir in grated cheese til melted.