1 hr 10 mins
Credit goes to Ian Hewitson - Huey's Cooking Adventures. (An Aussie cooking show) A little fiddley...but worth it! And economical too. Served with some green beans on the side, or on its own, its a complete meal. You can use beef mince but lamb works best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 600 g minced lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 (415 g) can tomatoes, undrained,chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- dried herbs
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni
- 1 dash olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese (approximately)
FOR CHEESE SAUCE
- 1Cook Macaroni in the usual way until not quite tender.
- 2Drain and toss in a dash of olive oil.
- 3Leave aside.
- 4Saute the vegetables and garlic for three minutes.
- 5Add mince and brown.
- 6Add tomatoes and tomato sauce along with the water and crumbled stock cube and dried herbs.
- 7Simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- 8Place half of the macaroni into the bottom of a deep casserole dish.
- 9Sprinkle over some grated cheese.
- 10Now layer half the meat/veg mix over macaroni, followed by remaining noodles, more cheese, then remaining meat/veg mix.
- 11Spoon the cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle with more cheese.
- 12Bake 220 deg celsius 20- 25 minutes.
- 13To make cheese sauce: Melt the margarine.
- 14Stir in flour.
- 15Blend in milk.
- 16Cook for three minutes stirring often.
- 17Stir in grated cheese til melted.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Style Lamb and Macaroni Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 961.3
- Calories from Fat 504
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 27.4 g
- Cholesterol 224.8 mg
- Sodium 1077.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 65.0 g