Plan ahead, the meat has to marinade for 4-24 hours, best when left 24 hours --- this is best made on the grill but can be broiled in the oven.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup grape juice
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves, crumpled (optional but good to add)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 3 cups good quality chicken broth
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the marinade by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, grape juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper (to taste), Italian seasoning, basil and crumbled bay leaves.
- Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes( or a little larger if desired).
- Place the pork in a single layer in a glass 13x9-inch pan.
- Slice the onion and seperate into rings.
- Place onion over top of meat.
- Pour the marinade over meat.
- Cover, and refrigerate for 4-24 hours (the longer, the better!).
- Drain marinade, or save to baste meat while cooking (see note below).
- Thread meat on metal skewers; grill or broil in oven (4-5 inches) from heat until pork is cooked.
- Note: if marinade is to be used to baste meat when cooking, heat the marinade to a boil for 3 minutes, and use to baste the meat frequently while cooking.
- Serve hot on a bed of lemon rice (recipe below).
- For lemon rice: grate at least 2 tablespoons lemon peel (or more for a stronger lemon taste); set aside.
- Squeeze out juice from lemon, and combine with butter, rice and broth (salt and pepper to taste).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, cover and simmer (without peeking!) for 20-30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and stir in lemon peel.
- Serve hot with cooked meat.
DH was the only family member who liked the lemon rice, however we all enjoyed the marinade. We used it with chicken for the meat eaters and Quorn for the vegetarians. We probably won't make the rice again but I am sure that we will use the marinade again and again. Thanks
Great meal Kitten. We really enjoyed this quick and easy to make dinner. The meat was tender and very flavourful, the lemon rice was wonderful & complimented the pork beautifully. I used the whole pork tenderloin & marinated it for 9 hours, then roasted it in a 375 oven for 55 minutes. The results were delicious.