Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Cooking Light (June 2005).
Make and share this Greek-Style Picnic Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, packed without oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 cups spinach (about 8 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, chopped and pitted
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 10 lemon wedges (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions. Cool to room temperature; set aside.
- While rice cooks, combine boiling water and sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add spinach and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Combine rice, tomatoes, spinach mixture, cheese, and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas).
- Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle with nuts; serve with lemon wedges, if desired.