1/4 Photos of Greek-Style Pork Gyros Plate
My attempt to replicate the gyros (pron: yee'-ros) I've had in Monastiraki in Athens and the islands. This isn't like the minced meat (usually lamb) kebab that we would here in the UK call a doner kebab and often eat on the way home from a night in the pub. This is what you could be served if you were eating in . . . . the alternative is to have the meat, onion and tsatziki wrapped in the bread and in a twist of greaseproof paper taken to go. This was my first attempt - and I was delighted, the belly pork has just the right amount of fat after quite a long cook on the grilling machine. I didn't have tomatoes tonight - a few slices would have increased the authenticity, but the "patatas tiganites" (chips/fries) on the side, and the mustard mayo (american-style hot dog mustard would have been good, too) were just the job.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove the skin from the pork strips.
- 2In a bowl turn the pork strips in garlic, oregano and a good twist of black pepper - leave to marinade for at least 30 minutes (more if possible).
- 3Griddle the meat - I used our George Formby "turned out nice again" grill (a wee joke for any ageing brits there). A lot of fat will drain off, the meat needs turning so all sides are well browned and the meat succulent.
- 4Slice across the strips to give chunks of meat ready to serve.
- 5Brush the pitas with a little oil and cook in a hot dry non stick frying pan for a couple of minutes each side.
- 6Assemble to serve: place a good quantity of the meat chunks on a piece of the bread, (a couple of tomato slices would work well here) top with a good dollop of the tzatziki, a good quantity of the thinly sliced red onion and put mustard on the side.
- 7Serve with chips/fries.
- 8A little salad garnish is pretty with this, as you can see from my photo, it can look a bit too all-brown.
- 9Kali orexi! (Bon appetit).
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek-Style Pork Gyros Plate
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1535.4
- Calories from Fat 1245
- Total Fat 138.3 g
- Saturated Fat 49.1 g
- Cholesterol 183.8 mg
- Sodium 563.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: