Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This Delicious dish was a real winner. I came up with it by combining 2 chicken recipes that I had. Fancy without a great deal of work! You can reduce the fat content by not using the olive oil and herbs on the outside, then when serving don't eat the skin! Also, it is just as yummy if you omit the ham. Haven't tried it without the feta, but I imagine that would be good as well.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, gutted,rinsed,and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon garlic-flavored olive oil (or plain)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 3 pieces thin-sliced deli-style ham, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, broken into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Brush chicken with oil.
- Combine oregano, parsley, garlic powder, and garlic salt.
- Rub onto chicken.
- Combine spinach, feta, ham, bread, pine nuts, chives, butter, and pepper.
- Slip fingers in between skin and breast, and Lightly stuff the pockets on both sides.
- Lightly spoon stuffing into main cavity and neck, if desired.
- Place in broiling pan, breast side up.
- Roast for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or until meat thermometer reads 180 when inserted into thigh, and juices run clear.
- Serve with Greek-style rice and veggies!
++++++Sometimes there aren't enough stars! This is a fantastic recipe, easy too. I stuffed the inside of the chicken with the mix, but only put it between the skin and breast on one side (One kid hates stuffing, the other cheese, THEIR loss!) We ate this with Garlic Potatoes Garlic Potatoes and Green Beans with Feta Cheese Green Beans with Feta Cheese (both 5 star recipes as well).
WOW! This stuff is great. The chicken was moist and the stuffing amazing. I never would have thought to mix those items together. My family does not like nuts so I finely chopped the pine nuts (didn't want to loose the flavor). Thank you for a recipe I plan on making again and again.
I too used Kalamata olives in place of the ham with great results! This is a keeper all the way for us!