Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you love phyllo and spinach, then this is one you have to try! Keep the phyllo stacked between two sheets of wax paper, and covered with a damp tea towel until ready to use to keep from drying out. You can use frozen chopped spinach in place of fresh if desired. The amounts listed for the feta and olives are only a guidline, you can use as much as desired.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs freshy spinach (coarse stems removed)
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted and kept warm
- 7 sheets phyllo dough (17x12-inches)
- 12 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup finely crumbled feta (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced kalamata olive (or to taste, or use black sliced olives)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (can use less)
- Cook the spinach in a pot of salted water for about 2-3 minutes; drain in a colinder, then run under cold water to cool.
- Squeeze out any moisture using hands.
- Set oven to 400 degrees (IMPORTANT, use middle oven rack).
- Brush a large baking sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Put one sheet of the phyllo on the buttered baking sheet, then brush the top of the sheet with about 1 tablespoon butter (you will not need more than 7 tablespoons butter since you brushing 7 sheets of phyllo, use the butter sparingly as the phyllo will be too greasy, you might even want to use less than the 7 tablespoons!).
- Sprinkle the buttered phyllo with 2 scant tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and press firmly so that it adheres to the bottom piece of phyllo.
- Brush the sheet with melted butter, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Layer the remaining phyllo in the same manner ending with a sheet of phyllo.
- Brush the top sheet lightly with melted butter.
- Bake for about 3-5 minutes.
- For the topping; sprinkle the spinach evenly over the crust, leaving about 1-inch border all around.
- Then season with black pepper and a little salt.
- Sprinkle the sliced red onion over the spinach, then sprinkle with kalamata olives.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the phyllo pizza for about 15 minutes or until the feta is melted.
- Slice into squares using a pizza wheel.
Very good and different dinner that we enjoyed with salad. I also thought this was a very easy recipe to work with phllo dough. Thanks for sharing!