Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a Greek take on the classic beef stuffed pepper. Lemon, cinnamon, fennel and oregano spice up traditional ground beef and onions, while healthy quinoa adds extra fiber. There seem to be a lot of steps, but this one goes together in about 20 minutes. It works great if you have pre-browned ground beef in your freezer.
- 2 bell peppers, color of your choice
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch fennel seed
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Set a pot of water to boil. Remove tops from peppers and cut in half length-wise. Seed and devein peppers. Reserve pepper tops. Once water has boiled, add peppers and cook for 7-8 minutes. Drain water and run cold water over peppers.
- Finely dice pepper tops.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil. Saute onion and garlic over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Into ground beef, stir lemon juice and zest, tomato sauce, cooked quinoa and spices.
- Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stuff peppers with ground beef mixture. Top with cheese. Place peppers in a greased baking pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake and additional 15 minutes.
Your description says fennel, but you must have forgot to add to the ingredients list. Oopsy!