Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Hellenic Hannukah cookbook. This version is from Foradenes, a small, family-owned seaside taverna in the town of Finikki on the island of Syros.
- Combine zucchini and onions in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Let sit for 20 minutes and then squeeze out all the water.
- Add dill, mint, egg, cheese, bread crumbs and butter, and combine well.
- Fashion mixture into tablespoon-sized balls and fry- 6 at a time- in 5 1/2 inches olive oil, heated to a temperature of 325 degrees, for 2-3 minutes , or until light brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
These where so tasty,to just add a little variation I added a dash of tabasco to the mix prior to forming the meatballs.I served them on a bed of assorted salad leaves and sprinkled some finely chopped spring onions over as a garnish.
I've made this 3 times. We love it. My Croatian neighbor loves it. I did not use mint, but next year I'll grow some and try it.
These were really easy and tasty. We enjoyed them a lot - thank you!