From Simply in Season. This salad is wonderful when you can get fresh ripe juicy tomatoes from your garden.
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 cucumber, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 tablespoons fresh mint or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded or 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbles or 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive
- some sprigs fresh herb (optional)
- Combine tomatoes, onion, pepper & cucumber in a bowl.
- Combine fresh herbs, olive oil, vinegar and garlic.
- Pour dressing over vegetable and toss lightly.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with cheese and/or Kalamata olives.
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh herbs if desired.
Even though I halved this recipe, I used only 3 tomatoes (1 per person), but kept the amounts of green pepper, onion and cucumber the same - so basically, I just reduced the tomato.LOL (maybe we have way larger tomatoes?) Used both mint and parsley and kalamatas and feta. We can live on this salad and its variations, all year long.
We loved this fresh, summery salad. I halved the recipe, but made the full amount of dressing. I used tomatoes, red onion, bell pepper and cucumber from my garden. For the dressing, I used fresh basil (from my garden), basil infused olive oil, and strawberry infused balsamic vinegar. I garnished it with crumbled feta cheese...delicious! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. Made for ZWT 9 - Greece for The Apron String Travelers
Refreshing salad! I included the optional cucumber and green pepper, and used white wine vinegar, feta cheese, and kalamata olives. We enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing! ZWT9