In Greek, this recipe is called Saláta Horiátiki! Try to use really good olive oil. Recipe is adapted from Whole Foods.
- 2 firm cucumbers
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into bite-sized slices
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces (you can use 1/2 green, 1/2 red pepper)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 -6 ounces feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup pitted kalamata olive, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- splash balsamic vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- Peel cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. With a small spoon, scrape out seeds and discard, then cut cucumber into bite-size chunks.
- Place in a large bowl and combine with tomatoes, green pepper, onion, feta and olives.
- In a small bowl, combine oregano and vinegars and whisk in olive oil. Drizzle half the dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with remaining dressing on the side. May serve over lettuce greens if desired.