1/1 Photo of Greek Tomato Sauce
From THE FRUGAL GOURMET by Jeff Smith. Posted for ZWT6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, chopped fine
- 4 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1Heat a large non-stick frying pan and add the olive oil.
- 2Sauté the onion and garlic until clear.
- 3Add the tomatoes, parsley and oregano.
- 4Simmer, covered, until the tomatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes.
- 5Add the remaining ingredients and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- 6The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 135.5
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 209.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 2.0 g