Recipe from one of our favorite places to eat when in the city - Nicky's! Love this recipe shared by Nick and Marina Makris in a local cookbook. An awesome salad that allows the fresh taste of the ingredients to shine and just the way I like it! I do offer a Greek dressing when serving to guests, but find most enjoy the salad unadorned - and always an empty bowl.
- 4 large tomatoes (not over ripe, cut into small wedges)
- 1 English cucumber (cut in 1/2 inch cubes or smaller )
- 1 medium red onion (cut in thin wedges)
- 1 large green pepper (sliced)
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese (cubed or crumbled)
- 12 black Greek olives (or green)
- 4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley (optional)
- Cut the tomatoes into small wedges, cube the cucumber, cut red onion into thin wedges, slice green pepper, and place into large bowl.
- Add the cubed or crumbled feta cheeses, olives and olive oil and salt to taste.
- At this point I toss and sprinkle with Italian parsley and some of the crumbled cheese.