Prep 9 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
From: New York’s 25: Taste Of Greece – Oct 16-Nov 18, 2006 “Greek cuisine is truly a natural cuisine. It exemplifies garden to table cooking,” says chef Marc Meyer. He says he "loves" Greek yogurt. “I've always been fascinated by the fact that its use runs the gamut from sweet to savory. In the States we think of yogurt as a sweet or a bedtime snack. But it makes a great sauce or marinade and I wanted to incorporate it in that way." - Chef Marc Meyer of Five Points
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, boned and cut into large cubes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried greek oregano
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 2 cups strained Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup greek honey
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup plain chicken stock or 1⁄4 cup light lamb stock
- Combine the lamb meat with the sea salt and Greek oregano, allow to rest, covered at room temperature, for one hour.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the water or stock and combine well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Add the liquid and bake in a covered casserole at 350°F for approximately 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
- Remove and serve.