This is a great recipe to make in the summer if you're like me and have an abbundance zucchini from the gardens of all your friends.
- 1 lb zucchini, Grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 3⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1⁄2 dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Combine the grated zucchini and salt.
- Set aside for 5 minutes, but no more or it will be mushy.
- Rinse in cold water and squeeze dry in a towel or press in a strainer until dry.
- Combine the cheese, egg, green onions, flour, pine nuts, dill, oregano, garlic, and pepper in a large bowl; fold in the zucchini.
- Form into 24 small cakes (about 2 tbsp of mixture for each) and saute in olive oil, turning once, until brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately.
- A good cucumber, gyro type sauce is great to serve on the side with these.
Great cakes. Served with Zesty Grilled Ahi Tuna With Feta and Fresh Tomato Salsa. Will use less dill or leave out next time for my tastes but loved the feta. Great hint about only 5 min. drain time for the zucchini.
I have made 2 different zucchini cake recipies in the past few days,,,this was my favorite. The feta gives it a nice tang. I thought that they were a bit mushy in the middle so next time will sub 1/2 c bread crumbs for flower. Also made each the size of a small burger. Try these on an english muffin w/slice of tomato, leaf lettuce and a nice tiziki sauce...real yummy anytime of day!
Yum! I enjoyed the taste of the feta, dill and oregano. I halved the recipe easily. Thanks!