Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A simple and tasty green bean casserole with tomatoes. Serve as a vege side for 4 to 6 people
Make and share this Green Beans Greek Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs green beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- Rinse the beans in cool water and cut of the tips and any stringy fibres.
- Using a saucepan,sauté the onions in the olive olive until softened.Add the garlic and saute for a few further minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for around 50 minutes, or until the beans are tender. You may need to add more water if needed throughout this time.
I had about a pound of beautiful fresh green beans from the farm, and adjusted the rest of the ingredients accordingly. I did not peel the tomatoes, but I did remove the pulp and the seeds. Since the beans need to cook for so long, they do lose a lot of their color. I would probably steam them first next time, to reduce the cooking time in the pan. I ended up adding a lot of additional water while waiting for the beans to cook. All-in-all, this was a very tasty dish. Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT 9.
Cut the recipe in half, used fresh tomatoes and green beans. What a nice fresh green bean dish, no leftovers with this dish.
Very nice, I cut this recipe as there is just the two of us. I used frozen beans and fresh tomato, and it turned out just fine, so much better than plain old beans. I served it with Lindsey's Luscious Lemony Lamb for Your Crock Pot#290788 and they were perfect together. I will be making this again, it's a great side dish. thank you for posting Made for ZWT#6 2010.