This is my husband's creation and it is so good. Make sure to serve it with some nice crusty bread to mop up the sauce. We serve it as a starter but it could easily be a main dish with greek orzo. The fresh herb and real lemon juice make a big difference.
- 3 lbs extra-large shrimp, uncooked
- 2 (28 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (GREEK of course)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 white onions, sliced thinly
- 1 -2 fresh garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- Peel and butterfly the shrimp.
- Set shrimp aside.
- Saute the onions and garlic in 2tsp olive oil.
- Add tomatoes and wine to onion and garlic and cook for 1/2hour over low heat (the longer the better the sauce.
- saute shrimp until just barely pink, add to sauce.
- Add fresh oregano,lemon juice and zest
- Pour everything into baking dish and crumble the feta on top.
- Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes.